Mediterranean cruises are some of the best available, thanks to the fact that this area encompasses a number of amazing holiday destinations. Whether it’s Italian cruises or breaks to Spain, Turkey, Cyprus or one of the many other locations within this part of the world, Med cruises could be absolutely ideal for you.
They’re known for being perfect for those after sunny holidays that involve lounging on the beach, visiting historical attractions and soaking up the local atmosphere at restaurants and bars, all the while enjoying the cruise ship’s onboard facilities.
And, of course, with a cruise holiday, you can get the benefit of visiting numerous locations throughout the Mediterranean. We have all kinds of cruise deals for 2014 available too, so if you really do think cruises of this type would be perfect for you, why not check them out?
Here are just a few of the things you could look forward to on a Mediterranean cruise:
This country is known for its fast pace, as well as its excellent fashion sense and footballing skill. Aside from this, it also has a delicious cuisine and some amazing wines for you to try, and will keep you interested throughout your stay. From dining on tapas to touring Barcelona, this city has it all.
Things to do in Spain
- Sagrada Família in Barcelona is absolutely amazing. This unfinished masterpiece by Gaudi is a sight for sore eyes
- Take the time to stroll down Barcelona’s Las Ramblas, one of the central streets in the city that’s always alive with sights and sounds – the street performers in particular will keep you entertained!
- The prehistoric caves in Nerja, near Malaga, are well worth a visit
- Malaga’s Tivoli World theme park is ideal for families and makes a great day out when stopping in Spain
- If you visit Palma, be sure to take a trip to La Seu, the 13th century cathedral. This historical building features Gothic architecture that will most definitely wow you!
- Strolling through Palma’s Old Town is also a great way to spend an afternoon
- The Giralda Tower in Seville is another fantastic building that was built in 1248 and is ideal for those that love a bit of history
Italy is famous all over the world for its amazing architecture and laid back attitude, making it a fantastic place to visit during your cruise. There’s more than enough to see and do while there, including many touring attractions and enjoying some genuine Italian cuisine.
Things to do in Italy
- Head for the Sistine Chapel in Rome to see Michelangelo’s masterpiece
- Be wowed by the beauty of St Peter’s Basilica, the late Renaissance church in Rome that still stands within the walls of the Vatican City
- Take a tour of the Colosseum in Rome, which dates from 80 AD
- Visit the ruins of the Roman Forum in the capital city, which is without a doubt one of the most important sites within Rome
- Dating from 126 AD, the Pantheon is another hugely popular tourist attraction in Rome and is well worth a trip
- The Circus Maximus should also be visited – this ancient chariot racing stadium is now a park that you can wander through while in Rome
- Take your very own holiday snap of you holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa!
- Wander alongside the canals in Venice to go for an amazing walk in this astonishing city, or take a trip on one of the many gondolas!
- Lounge on one of Sardinia’s many beaches to get one hundred per cent relaxed
- Try a spot of scuba diving off the coast of Sardinia to see the island’s underwater paradise up close and personal!
- Go on a tour of Mount Etna on the island of Sicily, which is famous for being Europe’s tallest volcano
- Visit the Museo Archeologico Nazionale in Naples to see some of the world’s most amazing archaeological finds
- Visit the ruins of Pompeii and Herculaneum in Naples, the two towns that were destroyed by Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD
Greece, with its startlingly blue coastlines and beautiful architecture, is a fantastic cruise destination, and many of the cruises we offer head there. Greece’s islands are second to none and feature stunning natural beauty, alongside famous historical attractions.
Things to do in Greece
- Climb to the top of Athens’ Acropolis to look out at the astonishing views over the mainland
- Relax on one of the amazing beaches in Itea, Kalamata, Mykonos, Corfu, Mytilene
- Visit the Oracle of Delphi shrine in Itea, which dates from the 8th century
- Tour the Monastery of Osiou Louka, also in Itea, to see the famous Byzantine frescoes
- Visit the Palace of Knossos in Aghios Nikolaos, which was said to be home to the terrifying Minotaur in ancient times
- Stroll along Mykonos’ seafront, which is referred to as ‘Little Venice’
- See the grotto known as the Cave of the Apocalypse in Patmos, in which St John is said to have seen a vision of Christ. The experience was later included in the Book of Revelations in the Bible
- Relax in Santorini’s Palea Kameni hot springs
- Take a trip to one of the largest castles in the Mediterranean – Mytilene Castle in Mytilene
- Appreciate the various architectural types from in Rhodes, which include Gothic, Byzantine, Greek and Middle Eastern
Turkey is unlike any other place on the planet, as it’s a wonderful mixture of European charm and exotic Asian culture. With its stunning coastlines, phenomenal beaches and breathtaking views, as well as the many tourist attractions within its town and cities, you’ll never want to leave!
Things to do in Turkey
- Wander through the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul to pick up some souvenirs, and be sure to barter with the merchants if you really want a good deal!
- Take a tour of Istanbul’s Hagia Sophia museum, which was once an Eastern Orthodox cathedral
- Visit the Topkapı Palace, which was once the royal residence for Ottoman sultans, and is now a museum dedicated to Turkey’s imperial history
- Wonder at the Blue Mosque’s (which is officially known as the Sultan Ahmed Mosque) amazing architecture
- Marvel at the views in Bodrum, with its green hillsides and azure waters
- Head for the famous windmills just outside of Bodrum to see a little bit of this area’s history
- Sample some fine wine in Bozcaada, which is known for its amazing vineyards
- Visit the ancient city of Ephesus, which dates from the 10th century and can be found in Izmir
- Relax in Marmaris, the largest beach resort in Turkey!
Croatia, with its picturesque views, pretty woodland and serene beaches will most definitely become one of your favourite places in the Mediterranean. Cruises to Croatia are always a mixture of beautiful beaches, relaxing by the seafront and visiting attractions that are replete with history.
Things to do in Croatia
- Visit the Romanesque Cathedral of St Domnius in Split. One of this attraction’s defining features are the oak doors, which contain scenes of Christ’s life
- Check out Dubrovnik’s cathedral, which dates from the 17th century
- Explore the walls of Dubrovnik – they’ve protected the city since the 7th century and provide amazing views both inland and out to sea!
- Head for one of the few sandy beaches in Croatia, which can be found in Korcula and is called Vela Przina
- Explore Krka National Park in Dalmatia, which features stunning views and excellent walking routes, as well as amazing waterfalls, boat rides and the Visovac and Eastern Orthodox Monasteries
- Sail to Lokrum Island to experience the plethora of local flora and fauna there. The subtropical plants will be astounding, and you’ll love being able to swim in the sea around the island
- Go back in time in Konavle, where locals still wear traditional dress and the surrounding area is perfectly preserved
- Visit St. Euphemia’s Basilica in Rovinj, a Baroque church with beautiful architecture and masses of history to its name
- Check out the churches in Zadar, which include St. Donatus’ Church, St. Anastasia’s Cathedral, St. Chrysogonus’s church, St. Simeon’s church, St. Elijah’s Church, St Francis’ Church and St Mary’s Church!
The French Riviera is one of the Mediterranean’s finest examples of relaxation. Packed with amazing sights and tourist attractions, everyone can find something excellent to do in this part of the Med. You can visit some of the more well-known destinations in France (such as Paris!) to experience the country’s glamour and chic style, or head for the more provencal areas to experience the ‘real’ France.
Things to do in France
- Walk down the Promenade de la Croisette in Cannes, where you can marvel at the beautiful palm trees and beaches, before stopping for a bite to eat in one of the many restaurants
- Sail to the island of Île de Sainte-Marguerite to see where the real Man in the Iron Mask was held prisoner in what is now the Fort Royal museum
- Visit Le Musée Granet in Aix-en-Provence, which is a museum that’s dedicated to various artforms, including painting and scultpure. It also has a large collection of archaeological artefacts from Aix, but it’s its paintings that are the main draw. They include works by Jean-Dominique Ingres, Rembrandt, Anthony van Dyck, Paul Cézanne, Alberto Giacometti and Nicolas de Staël
- Take a tour of Le Pavillon de Vendôme, also in Aix, to view the touring art exhibitions that are housed there
- Stop off in France’s second largest city (after Pairs), Marseille, to wander through the Old Port area, where you’ll find attractions including the Opéra de Marseille, the ancient Roman ruins of the Massalia harbour, the Phare de Sainte Marie lighthouse, the 19th century Notre-Dame-de-la-Garde and the Pharo Gardens, alongside many other attractions
- Walk through Camargue’s Parc Naturel Régional de Camargue, which is now a UNESCO a World Heritage Site and is famous for its wild horses
- Travel to Paris for a romantic getaway, and experience the sights and sounds of this marvelous destination, including the Eiffel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Notre Dame, Champs Elysees and many, many more
The Mediterranean is filled with amazing places to visit, and going on a cruise holiday there can provide you with a wide range of experiences and memories. You’ll be able to find something for absolutely everyone when you choose cruises around the Mediterranean, and even if you haven’t a large budget you can still enjoy this fantastic part of the world thanks to our cheap cruises.
Have you ever been on a Mediterranean cruise? If so, where did you head to? Or, are you just planning a cruise to this part of the world now? Be sure to let us know your thoughts by getting involved on Twitter – tweet us at @Cruisenation.