Cruises are a wonderful opportunity for sharing unforgettable moments and experiencing a whole host of new and exciting discoveries along the way.
However, you don’t necessarily have to go on a cruise holiday with other people. In fact, many cruisers have just as much of a worthwhile time when going it alone. And if you are one of the many people that enjoy setting off on a solo adventure, we might just be able to help you.
Here at Cruise Nation, we believe that every holiday should be designed with your comfort and requirements in mind. That’s why we have dedicated this post entirely to those who are contemplating cruising alone.
If you are considering cruising solo and you want to learn the do’s and don’ts before booking a voyage, read on and let us help you prepare for that holiday of a lifetime.
Choosing a ship and cabin
This is particularly important when cruising alone because in most cases, you are going to want a ship that’ll feel intimate. Smaller ships tend to be quite social and you’re likely to come across the same faces throughout your holiday.
In recent years, some of the newest cruise ships have become more accommodating to solo travelers. Certain Norwegian Cruise Line ships have added in studio cabins with prices for single occupancy and feature a shared social space called the Studio Lounge. This is where solo travelers can meet other guests that are holidaying alone.
Royal Caribbean have also jumped on the bandwagon and have introduced 28 dedicated solo cabins aboard the Quantum of the Seas and the Anthem of the Seas. These rooms include virtual balconies made up of 80-inch floor-to-ceiling LED screens projecting real-time ocean and port views.
It’s worth looking into which cruise line might be best for you if you are a solo traveler. One cruise might offer you something that another one doesn’t, so research is key!
What to do once you’ve booked a cabin
When it comes to cruising alone, there’s definitely an art to making it a happy and productive affair. With that in mind, here are a few tips for mixing and mingling while aboard:
- Get involved: As a solo traveler, it’s always nice to have some time alone. That may be one of the main reasons for you choosing to holiday alone. However, the best way to meet new people is to take part in activities, so choose a cruise that offers a variety of programmes, classes or workshops that you can sink your teeth into.
- Take part in shore excursions: One of the many benefits of choosing a cruise ship holiday is the chance to go on a variety of shore excursions. Also note that if you are choosing an excursion in order to meet friends, you are bound to come across people with similar interests, making bonding opportunities more likely.
- Bond with your shipmates pre-cruise: With social media becoming an increasingly vital movement in the digital world, it’s easier now more than ever to connect with people online. If you’re a solo traveler, it’s worth using social media or forum groups to get in touch with other fellow cruise-goers before the voyage takes place. You can even sign up to Meet & Mingle parties with Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, Royal Caribbean and Holland America Line.
- Choose a themed cruise: Certain cruise lines offer cruises that specialise in specific topics like music, dance, politics and sports – which are a great choice for solo travelers. Again, these are a great way to meet new people and find others who may have similar interests to you.
Benefits of cruising alone
- Your whole time aboard the ship is yours, so you can plan your days exactly how you want them without having to factor in other people. You can do things at your own pace and in your own time for the entire duration of your holiday.
- It’s a great way to get away and have some ‘you’ time, whilst experiencing some of the most beautiful places in the world. You can really relax and unwind and get some well-deserved rest.
- On the other hand, if the social bug bites and you find yourself wanting to mix with others, cruising solo will give you ample opportunity to make friends.
- Single prices are becoming easier to find with more and more people choosing the cruising solo option. However, it’s worth looking into this in more detail with your cruise provider.
- When you’ve had a long day exploring a new city or taking part in various on-board activities, it’s nice to come back to a cabin that’s all yours. If you feel compelled to leave your clothes lying on the couch, or you want to utilise all the bathroom space with your products, you can do so without needing to consider anyone else.
- It’s a great opportunity to have some time away from your usual day-to-day routine, and you’ll also get the chance to experience things you might not get to back home.
Cruising alone is a fantastic way to enjoy some of the world’s most amazing countries exactly the way you want to. And with these top tips, we are sure anyone can benefit from this style of holiday, as long as thorough research has gone into it.
If you are considering cruising solo and you would like to find out more information on how this can be done, why not get in touch? Here at Cruise Nation we have a variety of deals on offer that might just be perfect for anyone that’s on the hunt for a cruise ship holiday.
Whether you want to cruise solo or with others, we can help you. Call us on 0800 408 0757 or fill out our contact form and we will be more than happy to assist with any questions or queries you may have.