Cruising with Under Fives
One of the best parts about going on a cruise ship holiday is the chance to take your whole family along for the ride. Whether you are holidaying with babies right through to teenagers, there is something for every age range on board a cruise ship.
With this in mind, we have decided to dedicate this guide to those cruising with under five year olds to give you the chance to discover how you can have the most enjoyable and memorable holiday by following these top tips.
In this post we are going to discuss:
- What cruise activities can my children participate in?
- What cruise ship cabin accommodation will be suitable for my five year olds?
- Can I take under fives on shore excursions?
- Best cruise lines for under five year olds
What cruise activities can my children participate in?
One of the first things parents look for when searching for a cruise that will accommodate their children, is the possibility of activities. Luckily, there are a lot of cruise lines that offer various kids clubs for all age ranges and interests. These clubs will provide your children with hours of entertainment, whilst allowing them to engage with other children their age, so it’s definitely worth looking into when it comes to choosing the perfect cruise for you and your family.
These can range from arts and crafts clubs to soft play areas filled with a variety of educational and fun toys to aid with learning. It’s important to note that kids clubs are always supervised by a qualified leader and staff who will make sure your under fives will be well looked after at all times. It will also give you the opportunity to enjoy some quality time with your partner whilst your children are having fun.
What cruise ship cabin will be suitable for my five year olds?
As cruise lines become more technologically advanced, cabin types on board have also improved massively over the years. Whether you are a solo traveler, you have a disability, or you are travelling with your partner, there are a wide variety of cabins to choose from that will accommodate everyone in your party.
If you happen to be travelling with under five year olds, it’s important to choose a cabin that will be able to cater for you and your children’s needs. Most cruise lines will allow families of up to 5 or 6 people in each room, or you can even choose an adjoining room if you want the extra space. It’s crucial to look into this in more detail when planning your cruise to ensure you and your family’s safety and comfort are met whilst on board. Speak to your cruise ship provider for more details on what you need from a cabin and you will not be disappointed.
Most cruise lines even offer cots for your little ones, so if this is something you require, make sure you double check this when exploring which ship to opt for. With more than a dozen cruise lines to choose from and multiple ships per line, there will be something to suit everyone’s needs.
When it comes to choosing a particular cabin, it’s important that you look into location in detail when cruising with under fives. If you wish to stay in a quiet area so your children and you can sleep peacefully, than a cabin which is close to the bars, casinos and other evening entertainment may not be the best spot for you.
Can I take under fives on shore excursions?
Absolutely! In fact, many cruise lines offer specific family excursions so everyone you travel with can enjoy the fun. From waterparks to beach breaks, you can choose from a wide selection of family-friendly trips that will provide everyone with endless hours of entertainment. What’s more, some cruise lines offer discounted rates for children as young as 3 and children under 3 can even go on certain excursions for free, meaning they can sit on their parents’ laps on the journey there. What’s not to like about that?
Best cruise lines for under five year olds
Here at Cruise Nation we offer an array of cruise options from some of the world’s most reputable cruise line companies, so no matter what your individual needs may be, we can find a ship that’s perfect for you. However, some ships are better for different reasons and if you are travelling with under five year olds, it’s important to thoroughly consider your options.
Below are a select few that we feel might just float your boat!
- Royal Caribbean International is a great choice for families with under five year olds because they categorise their children’s activities according to their age range to give children the opportunity to take part in activities that are suitable for their level. Royal Caribbean’s kids clubs are among the largest dedicated kids facilities in cruising, so they certainly take into account the needs of children on board. They even have dining options for children including a hot dog joint, as well as staterooms that fit as many as 8 people.
- Princess Cruises were designed with families in mind, so it’s no surprise why they are one of the most popular cruise lines for families alike. Princess Cruises offer splash pools especially for children, kids clubs which are also categorised by age range, and an arts and crafts project. This is where kids can build story books, paint pictures and make bracelets, just to name a few. It’s important to look into each ship carefully to see which Princess ship offers the facilities you are looking for.
- Carnival Cruise Lines are also a great option for travelling with under five year olds because there is so much on offer. Camp Carnival allows 2-5 year olds the chance to take part in sing-along contests, arts and crafts and take part in drawing and colouring contests. In addition, kids can watch movies on deck and have endless hours of fun in the SplashZone, which is entirely dedicated to toddlers and younger children.
For more information on cruises that are suitable for under five year olds, contact our team today. We have a selection of dedicated and friendly cruising experts that are more than happy to assist you with any questions you may have.
We know that a cruise ship holiday is one of the most memorable and worthwhile trips for any family to experience, and we want to make sure everyone's needs are met. So call us on 0800 408 0757 and begin your cruise ship search today!